Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
Anne Stewart acts for both public and private companies, participating in major business decisions from the legal point of view and providing proactive legal/business advice on a day-to-day basis. She is also involved in major project work, including:
- Corporate structuring and reorganization - establishing appropriate relationships between parties involved in a business and to simplify or improve corporate structure
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures - assisting in the detailed negotiations and documentation necessary to complete the business arrangement between the parties
- Major financings - representing the interest of the lender or borrower on the terms of the loan and the security, both for major project or capital financing and for operating financing
- Commercial contracts - extensive experience in negotiating and drafting most kinds of commercial contracts.
Anne has acted in major infrastructure projects in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, including the Sea-to-Sky Highway project (British Columbia), the Richmond Airport-Vancouver Rapid Transit (Canada Line) project (British Columbia), the Golden Ears Bridge project (British Columbia), the Port Mann Highway 1 (Gateway) project (British Columbia), the Stoney Trails (Calgary Ring Road) projects (Alberta), the first Alberta Schools project (Alberta), the A25 Highway project (Quebec), the Sault Area Hospital project (Ontario), the Royal Victoria Hospital project (Ontario), the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Ontario) and numerous other projects in Ontario.
Anne is acknowledged as one of "Canada's Top 25 Women Lawyers" by Lexpert magazine. She is also the winner of the 2009 Lexpert Zenith Award for women lawyers in business law, Business in Vancouver's 2006 Influential Women in Business Award, and the 2006 Canada's Most Powerful Women: Top 100 Award in the professionals category, presented by the Women's Executive Network. Anne is recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada and Law Business Research's The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers. Since 2006 inclusive to 2010 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada in 2006, she has been voted by peers as one of the leading lawyers in Canada in the areas of banking law, corporate governance, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions law, and project finance law. The 2008, 2009 and 2010 editions of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks both the Vancouver office of Blakes and Anne individually in Band 1 in the public-private partnership and infrastructure category. She is also recognized in the 2009 and 2010 editions of Law Business Research's The International Who's Who of Public Procurement Lawyers and Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Project Finance Lawyers 2009. IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms - 2009 Edition lists Anne in Tier 1 in the area of project finance.
Anne has written and spoken extensively on many topics in her area and is active in various professional, community and charitable organizations. She is a member of the Ethics Committee of The Law Society of British Columbia and is a dame of the Order of St. John.
- Appointed Queen's Counsel - 1993
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar - 1976
- LL.B., University of British Columbia - 1975
- B.Sc., University of British Columbia – 1972